Salad In A Jar [Concept]
Step #1 invest in good quality extra virgin olives and balsamic vinegars.
- One: They taste way way better Two: They actually provide health benefits like antioxidants.
- Check out Olivesontap.com you can have the fun of tasting all the oils and vinegars in the store (North Vancouver, BC) or if you are not local they ship Canada-wide. Another option is to find your local sources at truthinolive.com. Olive oil is #1 among the
- top fraudulent foods
Step #2 invest in some good quality pieces that will spice up the salad!
- How about dried blueberries, cranberries?
- How about some raw nuts. And for a treat some caramelized walnuts?
- Aim for getting fruits and vegetables that fall under the colours of the rainbow. The more variety in colour the more diverse the nutrients you are eating
- Putting it all together.
- Put olive oil and balsamic vinegar at bottom of mason jar.
- Then place hard vegetables that do well marinating (peppers, carrots etc.)
- Layer with more fragile stuff like green leafy vegetables.
- Think of protein sources in order to make your salad more sustaining (pre-cooked chicken, nuts, seeds, legumes)
- Close and put in the fridge
- Bring to work and eat 4-5 servings of veggies yay!
When end up saving so much time because the difference to chop carrots for 1 day vs 7 is negligible! The barrier you create between the oil & vinegar with the hard vegetables ensures the green leaves stay fresh and crispy for the week!